Lead Abatement in British Columbia
Lead abatement services can be complex due to the risks involved with handling lead. Our team of qualified lead abatement specialists are trained in protocols and safety procedures for removing lead. Choose WINMAR® Fraser Valley for all of your lead abatement needs in the Fraser Valley.
What Is Lead?
Lead is a toxic and harmful carcinogen. As a naturally occurring element on earth, lead is quite prevalent.
Older buildings and industrial buildings are at particular risk of containing lead. In earlier years, lead was used in many common household products and construction materials. Several places lead could be present include:
- Artificial turf
- Food (which may become contaminated during processing)
- Children’s products and toys
- Home remedies
Buildings constructed before 1990 may contain lead-based paint, which was a popular choice for residential, commercial, and industrial buildings at that time. Lead paint can deteriorate and become airborne, increasing the risk of exposure.
Lead can enter the body when it is ingested or breathed in. Even in small amounts, lead can cause serious health concerns, especially for children. It’s very important to take precautions to prevent exposure to lead in your home or workplace.
Lead Abatement Services
WINMAR® Fraser Valley’s trained lead abatement technicians have plenty of experience in locating and removing lead from buildings and properties. Our team of professionals has specific training in lead abatement recognition, abatement, and cleaning.
Testing for Lead Before Construction or Renovations
Disturbing lead during a renovation, restoration, or construction project is hazardous. Before WINMAR® Fraser Valley begins any kind of demolition, a fully qualified specialist will conduct a hazardous materials assessment and generate a report. If lead is present, we will fully remove it and provide additional cleaning services to safely remove any remaining contaminants.
Tips for Protecting Yourself from Lead Exposure
Protecting yourself, your family, and your employees from lead exposure is essential. Here are a few tips to help you avoid lead exposure:
- Filter water or running taps before pouring drinking water from them; this can help avoid exposure to lead from pipes and older plumbing.
- Clean your home well on a regular basis to prevent lead dust from settling and building up.
- Avoid using pottery with lead glazes, and always remove extra canned food from the can and place in a food-safe container for storage or refrigeration.
- Have older homes inspected for lead and consider having your home thoroughly cleaned if lead may be present.
- Avoid purchasing toys from discount vendors, and ensure that any keepsake toys made prior to 1990 are kept away from children.
- Avoid areas where lead may be present, such as near older paint that is peeling or chipping, in soil beside older homes, or near old windows or decks/porches.
Here for You When Life Throws You Unexpected Curveballs
WINMAR® Fraser Valley is an IICRC Certified Restoration company with over 30 years of experience in commercial and residential construction projects in southwest British Columbia. Our main priority is providing responsive service when our clients are in need of fast action.
The WINMAR® Fraser Valley team is friendly and knowledgeable, making a tough time less stressful. We can handle even the most complex losses, and we’re always ready to provide emergency services to reduce damages as soon as possible.
This WINMAR® franchise is independently owned and operated. WINMAR® is a registered trademark owned by WINMAR® International Inc. and is used under license.
Providing restoration services to the entire Fraser Valley including White Rock, Surrey, Langley, Maple Ridge, Mission, Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Agassiz and Hope.